Belle of Georgia, White Lady, Southern Pearl… the list goes on and on! Until I found a few White Peaches at a roadside market that didn’t have a name… but they were delicious!!! It’s a tad early for the other varieties of White Peaches but these were ripe, juicy and very sweet! I almost hated to mix them with blueberries and bake them into a crisp! Almost…
Meredith peeled the peaches for me. Their skin was thin and just peeled away, yielding a juicy white flesh flecked with red tones. We ate the peaches as soon as we sliced them… it’s a wonder any made it into the crisp! I’m telling y’all, these were some of the best peaches we’ve ever eaten! I hope y’all can find some roadside treasures this summer too!
White Peach and Blueberry Crisp
- About a half dozen fresh peaches peeled and pitted and sliced.
- 2-3 cups of fresh blueberries simply washed.
- ½ cup of sugar (if needed) depending on the sweetness of the fruit
- ¾ cup of all purpose flour or biscuit mix
- 1 ½ - 2 cups of old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup of packed dark brown sugar
- A stick of butter (room temperature) for topping and ½ a stick for filling
- Pecans, almonds or walnuts for added crunch
- Melt the ½ stick of butter in a baking dish (9 x 13) in a 350 degree oven...allow the butter to start bubbling.
- Peel and pit your peaches and slice them into wedges. Tip for peeling peaches…place them in boiling water for about 20 seconds then remove them to an ice bath…this stops the cooking and the skin will peel right off
- Wash your blueberries and pat dry.
- Mix the two fruits together in the bubbling butter…this browns and “fries” the fruit before baking...yum! Use the ¼ cup of sugar as well if your fruits are not sweet enough to your liking
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, oats, and remaining butter until it resembles a course meal. Add a bit more butter if need be for desired consistency and nuts for additional crunch.
- Spread the above mixture across the peaches and blackberries and bake at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes…or until golden and bubbly. Do serve a la mode! From this Farmer’s garden and table, enjoy!